Hug in a Mug
Posted on September 22 2021
Before we get into the card today let me say hi, I’m Samantha and I am super excited to join this talented group of people on the LDRS creative team. Today's card features the new stamp set Cozy Cuppa from the recently released Halloween and Christmas collection. In addition to how to make this card, I’ve also included a few tricks; how to stretch a slim line die to use as a mini slim line die, using die cut letters with a stamped sentiment and faux wood effect with an ink cube.
- Overall this is a simple scene to layout with a little bit of masking. Lay out the whip cream and mug stamp from Cozy Cuppa onto an approximately 3 3/4” x 6 3/4"” white cardstock. Stamp the whip cream first since it will be in the front and lays over the top of the mug. Stamp mask and mask the whip cream. Then stamp mug and inside mug pattern, stamp mug mask and cover with mask. One more mask to cover the bottom and your ready to ink blend. (I just used a post it note to create the straight line).
- If you're not a fan of masking you can totally get a very similar look by colouring the whip cream and mug and then die cutting and simply arranging them over an ink blended background.
- Using blending brushes, lightly blend lipstick jungle, swimming hole and la la lavender hybrid ink over stamped and masked card panel.
- Remove the bottom mask. TRICK 1: To create the faux wood effect use the mini alloy hybrid ink cube and carefully swipe it across the bottom of the card stock a few times. Cool uh.
- Use the outer frame (with x’s) from floral foliage die and partially die cut the panel. Close to 6 1/4”, if it isn’t exact no worries no one will ever measure your card. You are left with a partially die cut panel with an x pattern on 3 sides. TRICK 2: Turn the frame (with x’s) around. Now the trick with this frame is that the already die cut card stock with little x’s will nicely nest back into the die so it makes it so easy to line it up for the final die cut pass. Partially die cut the other end and complete the pattern.
- To add the sentiment use both the Chloe Alpha lowercase dies and Cozy Cuppa “Hug in a Mug” stamp. Make sure the inked panel is completely dry. TRICK 3: Then on the inked panel position, mask off the word “Hug” and stamp sentiment with embossing ink and then emboss with silver embossing powder. To complete the sentiment use the letter dies to die cut the word “hug” from the panel.
- Either apply letters with foam tape so they stand out or what I did was die cut the letters 3 more times and layered them to give depth.
- Use you favourite colouring media to colour in the mug. I always save colouring as one of the later steps just in case I mess up something else earlier in the process.
- Finally add panel to a 3 1/2” x 6 1/2” card base.